A, B … C

Long time, no see. It’s been a while. I’ve been working on birthday and Easter things, including trying to digitize a fairly complicated design for a birthday pillowcase. It came out okay, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied and I’m not positive that it won’t come apart when washed.

The design ended up with a total of 43 steps. I did as much as I could as applique because using fill stitch would have resulted in a design that was much too dense for the fabric.

The biggest challenge was getting everything in the right order. Thank goodness that Generations allows you to move things around in the Stitch Sorter.

I finally got it finished, took it to my machine and discovered that my machine wouldn’t read it. It was 2 mm too large. Fortunately, I was able to scale it.

I learned a number of things.

  1. I thought I could make it easier if I did all the applique placement and tack down at the beginning and added the satin stitch as required by the design. This may have been a mistake. I think because the design was so complicated and in my largest hoop that it shifted very slightly. Some of the satin stitch didn’t cover as well as I would have liked.
  2. I was working in my largest hoop (8″ x 12″), but the design had a lot of small details in the outline, so I lowered the width of the satin stitch. This may also have been a mistake. It looked really nice, but I suspect it may come loose when washed. I used Heat n Bond Lite and ironed it really well, so I’m hoping for the best.
  3. It’s probably best to start by planning the design, especially one this complicated. I was able to rearrange but it got really confusing, especially when I had more than 100 steps. It would have been better to identify the part that was behind everything else and start there. Instead, I started with the part that looked easiest.
  4. I should have tested the design multiple times as I finished each section. I definitely would have done so if this were something I were planning to sell. Since it was for a four-year-old who isn’t very critical, I wasn’t as careful. When I tested it and had issues, it was harder to fix them because there was so much going on.

It’s 80º in my house and I’m trying to avoid turning on the air conditioner, so here’s a winter design for you. (Sadly, digitizing it didn’t make me feel any cooler.) It’s part of the Bluework Winter collection from Clipartopolis. It was their free sample last month. (The current one is some linework stars, but it was supposed to be taken down yesterday, so hurry and get it if you want it.)

This design is bluework. In my next post, I’ll give some details about the various kinds of linework and how to digitize them.

Winter Hat in bluework

You are welcome to use these files to make objects for personal use or for sale. You may not resell or distribute the embroidery files. Be sure to test first.

Bluework Winter Hat

Dropbox may ask you to create an account or sign in, but there’s a ‘no thanks’ link that will let you proceed to the download.

 

If you are having trouble downloading the files, please read Downloading Files, which is listed in the menu at the top of the page. (On a mobile device, you may have to click Menu to see it.)

 

Advertisements


Categories: Bluework Winter, Linework

Tags: , , ,

1 reply

  1. Hi Glad you’re back! I too downloaded the winter clip art and will be attempting to digitize them. When I saw the hat and mittens I thought they would make good applique designs. I was going to do some hankies for the women at my church for Easter but by package was delayed and the hankies didn’t show up until almost the night before Easter so the best laid plans often go astray. I am working on a sunbonnet Sue and Sam applique but it is turning out harder than I anticipated and when I get frustrated I find its better for me to put the project down for a week or two and start with a fresh attitude. I would love to see your finished results for your gift. I have never worked on a project with that many steps, but with my Sue and Sam project I needed to re arrange sewing steps as well and I found that if you make each step a different color (in the program only) it was easier to tell what you wanted to move and where. Of course then you had to go back and change them back to the color you wanted them to sew out. With as many steps as you had that might not be a solution.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: